The Men's Bible Study meets on the third Tuesday of every month at J&P's Pizza in Finksburg at 6:00 p.m. You don't have to be a member to participate, just a desire to grow in the Word! The study begins after a meal has been shared.
We will next meet on Tuesday, January 20. We are currently studying the Gospel of Matthew.
STUDY NOTES FOR CHAPTERS 1 - 2
The Birth and Early Years of Jesus (chs. 1-2)
I. His Genealogy (1:1-17)
Whose line of descendants is this?
Why is this important?
Stresses line of David
II. His Birth (1:18 -- 2:12)
What are the significant dates surrounding Jesus’ birth?
1.587/6 BC: Last Davidic king taken by the Babylonians into exile
2. 587/6 – 164 BC: Judah is ruled in turn by the Babylonians, Persians, and Greeks 167 – 164 BC: Revolt of the Maccabees
3. 162 – 63 BC period of independence; rule by the Hasmonean priest-kings (descendants of the Maccabees)
4. 63 BC: Roman General Pompey conquers Judah; Romans rename Judah the Roman Province of Judea; Judea is ruled by men chosen by Rome
5. 44 BC: Julius Caesar is assassinated; the Senate names a triumvirate of Caesar’s g- nephew Octavian, Marc Antony, and Lepidus to govern the Republic
6. 47-37 BC: Roman ally Herod is appointed governor of the Galilee
7. 47-37 BC: Roman Senate appoints Herod king of the Jews
8. 31 BC: Antony and Cleopatra VII defeated at the Battle of Actium by Octavian
9. 27 BC: Octavian is named Caesar Augustus and appointed ruler for life by the Roman Senate. It is the end of the Roman Republic and the beginning of the Roman Empire 3/2 BC Jesus is born in Bethlehem
10. 1 BC/1 AD King Herod dies and is succeeded by his son Archelaus
11. 14 AD: Caesar Augustus dies and is succeeded by his step-son and heir Tiberius 28 AD John the Baptist and Jesus begin their ministries
B. Why is it important to put this in historical perspective?
III. His Sojourn in Egypt (2:13-23)
What is important about the journey of the magi?
The Magi were gentile
B. Besides getting away from Herod, why was the escape to Egypt so important?
To fulfill prophecy - Out of Egypt I will call my son.
He will be called a Nazarene
For next time read 3:1 -- 4:11